Quite possibly THE best way I've come across thus far for learning Japanese Kanji! The story is engaging, and unlike the first game, the combat does not get in the way of the lessons - on the contrary, when combined with good note taking, I found that the lessons stuck with me when playing Kanji Combat, and there's more to do besides learning the Kanji as well! More of my thoughts can be found here (segment starts at 8:49)
Learn Japanese To Survive! Kanji Combat
A downloadable game for Windows and macOS
Learn Japanese To Survive! Kanji Combat is an educational game, designed to be the ideal introductory course to the Japanese language! It's the third game in a smash-hit series, following Hiragana Battle and Katakana War - but you don't need to have played those!
This new game teaches you a separate part of Japanese: the Kanji writing system. Everything you need to start learning Japanese is contained within the game!
Japanese is a language that can be very daunting to begin learning. It contains a unique alphabet of intricate symbols that can be very confusing to newcomers. How do you write these symbols? How do you even pronounce them?! If you're asking yourself these questions, don't worry - that's completely normal!
Learn Japanese To Survive! Kanji Combat is your ticket to easy Japanese learning!
Learn over 200 Kanji characters! With this knowledge under your belt, you can begin reading and writing Japanese!
At the start of each of the game's chapters, you'll learn a new set of Kanji characters. Following that, you're free to go on adventures and explore. You'll encounter dangerous enemies that have taken the shape of Kanji. To defeat them, you'll need to correctly translate them! If you give the wrong answer, your attack will be reflected and used against you. It's a learn & live situation!
Much like the other games in this series, you will also have the opportunity to learn some Japanese vocabulary! You'll see how words are constructed using Kanji, and learn the translations of useful words and phrases.
- Learn over 200 Kanji characters, with detailed instructions on how to read and write each character.
- Learn useful mnemonic techniques to recognise each Kanji.
- Audio speech examples from native Japanese speakers demonstrate how to pronounce each Kanji character.
- Follow along with the exciting story that will see you travel to Japan to defend the country from shape-shifting monsters!
- Exciting gameplay with familiar RPG elements - collect items, complete quests, engage in batles!
- Build a new town from the ground up. Customise your town with different features!
- Form new friendships and get to know each of your companions with unlockable story sequences.
- Earn experience points and level up your characters.
- Review completed lessons to brush up on your knowledge.
- In-game quizzes test what you're learning.
- Original soundtrack, including opening and closing themes with vocals!
Ready to learn Japanese? You bet you are!
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $8.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
A certain character who is a huge spoiler is spoiled early game by looking at the weapon shop, you might want to change that. ♥
This game is really effective at teaching someone Kanji. It doesn't even feel like i'm learning most of the time which is the beauty of the game. It would be nice to know how many orbs I had though at any given time but overall its a good game, with good graphics and an interesting storyline.